- Special thanks for the inclusive curriculum for drummers. It exceeded my expectations!
Weirdly, the on-line format had huge advantages — more and more varied instruction on different aspects of playing and more time during the sessions to practice what was being taught.
Virtual MSJ was a huge success. Great content, excellent instructors, very organized administratively. I was particularly impressed with the last aspect since this was your first online endeavor of this length and scale. So major kudos all around.
I want to congratulate you on how well organized everything was. I did not see a single technical glitch, everybody was where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there, and the communication to participants was excellent
I was initially skeptical about how effective a virtual workshop could be, but it was really effective and a great musical growth experience! So many highlights and new things to work on! I can see this being an ongoing format of some kind in addition to the live summer session.
Hang Outs were some of my favorite moments from the the workshop. A lot of fun, but there were also some pretty deep discussions...
At MSJ, I felt like every instructor was prepared for every session, even if maybe we did sometimes get sidetracked a bit with questions.
The four days were a musical wonderland for me. Something I have been dreaming about most of my adult life, coming together and exceeding my greatest expectations. I got something from every class and elective and super specialty guest. I was moved by the whole experience.
Hearing from the A-listers (Peter Erskine, Wycliffe Gordon, John Patitucci, and Rick Margitza) was wonderful. Each was very humble and approaches music in their own personal way, which is a good model for all of us.
What We Do & How We Do It
JazzWire Winter Summit includes a THREE day session of playing, learning, guest lectures, working together! The virtual session is held online (more info on this below). Enrollment is limited to give you lots of personal attention and playing time. The faculty student ratio is 1:8, and our learning environment is focused, intimate and effective. MOST of our playing at The Summit is in a jazz small group – no time wasted sitting in boring classes!
– We have only 21 spots for our Winter Summit! We are open to all instruments (and vocals).
– Our playing happens in small groups of 8 or fewer musicians.
– There are lots of opportunities to play with and trade back and forth with your faculty leaders in REAL time.
– Our playing happens in groups with real jazz instrumentation.
– A-class Jazz musicians will be here to answer questions & share their stories.
– Artistic Director Jeff Antoniuk groups you effectively and comfortably with players of your ability level (through JazzWire).
– The moral of the story . . . don’t delay, these spots go fast!
JazzWire Winter Summit is all about putting you in intimate, small situations with a world-class faculty. Instead of taking notes in a theory class or rehashing private lesson material you could get elsewhere, you’ll learn the way jazz should be learned – by playing with a mentor & group. Improvisation, theory, arranging, history and group dynamics are discussed, and demonstrated. This is an experience you’ll never get on YouTube, and information you’ll never learn in your practice room with a book!A typical day at JazzWire Winter Summit includes
• Small group rehearsal sessions playing with a faculty member
• Attend popular elective classes
• In depth, instrument-specific master classes
• A 75 minute session with our Super Special Guest each day.
• Opportunities to meet faculty and other adult musicians from all over the world
This is the JazzWire Summit Experience!
JazzWire.net, our online platform is 100% integrated with The JazzWire Winter Summit experience, and you will become a subscriber ($49.95/ mo) to receive all the benefits. JazzWire is home to over 250 adult amateur and semi-pro musicians like you, from around the world, folks are learning, playing, practicing and progressing together like never before.
ALL participants who attend The Summit will become JazzWire members, so your experience at The JazzWire Summit will be more in-depth than you
will get at ANY other workshop on earth. You’ll be playing with your peers from the three JazzWire Online Communities, folks who you know and respect. We’ll be working on the JazzWire Summit music for months before the workshop (and for months after), so everyone will be showing up with some homework already done. We’ll be ready to play! When you sign up for The JazzWire Winter Summit, your JazzWire Growth Plan fee is waived (a $75 value). PLEASE NOTE: the initial six-month monthly subscription ($49.95/month) commitment to JazzWire still applies; see JazzWire Terms and Conditions for more information: click here.
Start preparing your songs for JazzWire early! Once you register for JazzWire Winter Summit 2022, we ask that you submit your music to us within two weeks. If we haven't received your music within four weeks of registering for The Summit, your JazzWire subscription will automatically begin ($49.95/ mo). Of course, can still send in your music after that date to receive your Growth Plan. Please see the links below for suggested song submission guidelines:
Bass: click here
Horns/Melody: click here
Piano/Guitar: click here
Drums: click hereWe’d love to hear your JazzWire songs (see the links above) within two weeks after the date you have registered. Questions? Email Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to help!
What Is A Virtual Jazz Camp?
JazzWire Winter Summit is where love for jazz intersects with amazing coaching and direction, and most importantly, community and connection. It turns out that Zoom interactions and the virtual space are an excellent way to teach jazz. Artistic Director Jeff Antoniuk has developed and taught over 2,500 hours of jazz education on this platform, and is a master at creating meaningful and powerful experiences in a virtual setting. We aren’t “making due” here. We’ve created something that couldn’t exist in the real world!
The Winter Summit is all about embracing the possibilities and modalities that were never possible before in any jazz workshop, anywhere on earth. Here’s a quick look at a few new things you can expect.
- Super Special Guests Every day at The Summit, we'll be joined by an A list musician, some cats you've surely heard of before. You'll have the chance to talk to them, ask them questions, and listen to them play while they share some of their stories!
- Fancy Classes Every day at The Summit, you'll get a special class by one of our faculty. This detailed theory class will break down concepts and go over them in a clear to follow way. The small class format make it easy to ask questions and stay involved!
- Everything Is Recorded. Each Masterclass and Elective, every Guest Lecture, you trading fours with faculty members . . . all of it will be presented to you at the end of The Summit. What would be impossible to do in classrooms is now a benefit of The Summit.
And this is just the beginning. It’s a new world, and we are embracing not only what is possible, but what has previously been impossible.
If you are a little hesitant about your abilities to use the technology, don’t be. We will be offering Technology Training in advance of camp, to help you get the best sound and the best experience with the Zoom platform and your equipment, whether you are brand new to technology and Zoom, or whether you are a pro. What equipment do you need? A phone, tablet or computer, and an internet connection. Add a set of headphones, you are in perfect shape. You can get fancier from there if you want to. We’ll be with you every step of the way to make sure you have a great experience.
JazzWire Winter Summit TuitionWinter Session (ONLINE January 27 - 29th, 2023)
$499.00 - EARLY BIRD tuition for three days (ENDS December 7th, 2022) $599.00 - REGULAR tuition for three days (BEGINS December 8th, 2022)
$195.00 - Observer per day
Observing is a great option for beginner players, those less confident in their skills, or players not able to attend all days of The Summit. JazzWire Winter Summit Observers may attend for one, two, or all three days of camp. You do NOT need to be a member of JazzWire to participate as an observer for The Summit. Observers do not receive Private Lessons, nor recordings of any of the classes.
Observers enjoy all of The Summit classes and electives, masterclasses and lectures. The difference is that Observers are just that - observing.Discounts
Siblings, husband and wife, parent and child may each receive a 10% discount on their respective tuition amounts. Active Military also receive a 10% discount (only one 10% discount per person). Refund/Cancellation Policy
If you have already paid and must cancel your attendance for any reason …
- For cancellations before December 15, 2022, there is a refund of $250.
- For cancellations between December 16th and January 15th 2023, there is a refund of $150.
- Cancellations after January 15th, 2023 will not be refunded.